Wednesday, 8 July 2015
Save Historic Lexington and Concord!
A critical unprotected acre of the Battle of Lexington and Concord
After brushing aside the Massachusetts militia on the Lexington Green on the morning of April 19, 1775, things had not gone well for the British. They failed to find a large quantity of arms at Concord. News of the British expedition and the deaths of militiamen on the green had spread across eastern Massachusetts. By noon, when the British began their return march, the countryside swarmed with angry militia companies. A British ensign later wrote: “All the hills on each side of us were covered with rebels.”
As the harassed British column reached a curve in the road between the towns of Lincoln and Lexington, Captain John Parker and his Lexington militia were waiting for them. Parker’s company included many men who had fought that morning. Some wore bandages stiffened from the blood of wounds they had suffered earlier, and they were eager to revenge themselves and their dead neighbors. On a rocky hillside, Parker’s men waited until the British were close, then opened fire. The British were staggered, then charged the hill. Parker's men shot down several Regulars before retreating, losing a few more of their own.
This crucial part of the Battle of Lexington and Concord known as “Parker’s Revenge” is a key moment in American history: rather than bow down and accept defeat, those men regrouped and helped set the stage for eventual victory. Today, Campaign 1776 announces an unprecedented effort to save one of the last remaining acres from that battle that can be preserved, along with a new initiative to conduct major archeological work on the battlefield to pinpoint the action.
Join us in saving this piece of history!
The Civil War Trust